Why the Dino?
The reference is to programing skills acquired back when:
- Processors? Ran at 1 to 2 Mhz (a dizzying top-end of 2,000 cycles each and every second)
- Memory? was measured in k. I had 8
- Program? Assembly language was needed to get things working.
- Storage? It was tape.
- Software? Pretty much came with an OS and that was it. (note NOT disk operating system).
- Manuals? There were none.
- Help Desk? You went to a Users group meeting and asked POLITELY*
- Software? You went to a users group meeting and asked POLITELY*.
- FAQ? People shared. Everyone was a noobieÂ and asked POLITELY*
People helped each other. *On the otherhand ask rudely? Your computer was pretty much a brick.
You could get the machine to do things, sometimes it wasn't elegant, but it worked.
To quote Hugh Bray:
Sometimes you just have to fake out the machine.